Job Shop SIG Forum

Welcome to the Job Shop Group Forum. All Visitors may look at all topics and their associated threads on this Forum. However only AILU Members and Registered Users are allowed to create new topics or contribute to an existing topic. Thus to participate in this Forum, please remember to first log-in. If you are not a Registered User, please follow this link to register.

Topic: Job Shop forum / Assist gas for cutting Titanium

Page: 1

Posted: 28-08-2014 15:01 by Prolas

Do you ever laser cut titanium prior to welding?

I received a call from someone wanting to know what type of assist gas to use for laser cutting of grade 2 & 5 titanium sheet up to 5.0mm thick. Nitrogen would be the usual answer, but he is worried that titanium can react with nitrogen to form nitrides: even so, this may not be a problem.

Anyone got a clear answer?

Posted: 28-08-2014 15:25 by Subcon Laser

I would use Argon as the assist gas, would not recommend Nitrogen due to the potential for stress cracks. 

I have a recollection that this was discussed some time ago?

Posted: 29-08-2014 00:25 by Cirrus

Prolas said:

Do you ever laser cut titanium prior to welding?

I received a call from someone wanting to know what type of assist gas to use for laser cutting of grade 2 & 5 titanium sheet up to 5.0mm thick. Nitrogen would be the usual answer, but he is worried that titanium can react with nitrogen to form nitrides: even so, this may not be a problem.

Anyone got a clear answer?

Cutting with nitrogen assist gas forms nitrogen embrittlement, the cut edge will have a sandy colour and look very different to nitrogen cut stainless. Use pure argon with same nozzle tip and nozzle pressure as you would use for nitrogen, the cut edge will be as bright and clean as nitrogen cut stainless. In the past we cut titanium for aerospace applications and used pure argon, however, all of our aerospace customers now insist on waterjet cutting even 0.5mm thick aluminium, fortunately we have waterjet and laser.